Thursday, September 10, 2009

Inspiration!


This is fast becoming one of my favorite books of all time. I hope one day to work for the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader team. They really know how to PUNCH! a sentence.

Through Uncle John Corp, I've finally realized the kind of baseball story I'd love to write. I don't want to write about the game or the pennant chase -- borrrrring. I feel drawn to more practical stuff, like a piece on how not to swallow your chewing tobacco during a headfirst slide. Hell, I could give ya 16,000 words on pine tar alone. Any editors out there? Tell me that doesn't sound like amazing copy.


My favorite novels if they were a baseball lineup:

1. Wildlife by Richard Ford, CF
2. The Crazy Hunter by Kay Boyle , SS
3. The Road, 3B
4. Moby Dick, RF
5. Lady Chatterley's Lover, 1B
6. Affliction by Russell Banks, C
7. Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Takes a Swing at Baseball, LF
8. Catcher in the Rye, 2B
9. Rubican Beach by Steve Erickson, P

No designated hitter in my lineup! The DH is a moral crime against humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment