Thursday, February 25, 2010

Victory is mine!

A few weeks ago, a large package arrived in my apartment lobby with my name on it. After digging through layers of bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts, I discovered the very painting that Nic Coviello is hanging above, with an inscription on the back: "Thank you Bruce for your direct, honest writing." What a victory. I celebrated that night at the corner bar.


Nic was featured last year in the dearly departed Metro arts and culture section. For almost two years I collaborated on these artist profiles with photographer, Chris Gabello. Looking at Nic's painting in my hands, it became a little clearer to me why I am so fulfilled by this work. So much of my creative writing is, by necessity, centered around my personal experiences. But what a joy it is to reorient myself and listen carefully to others -- to shed light on their life and work.

For me, writing is almost entirely an attempt to dignify human beings... nurses, plumbers, brain surgeons, abstract artists, they each have stories that need to be told. I think it is a rare and useful thing whenever a non-celebrity, non-powerbroker is actively listened to. For me, this is work of value.

"Listening with a pen." Perhaps that should be my blog's new title?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention Bruce. It is all important for an artist's aesthetic blood stream that someone out there cares about what we do.
    ciao
    Nic

    ReplyDelete